Pages

Monday 5 March 2012

Movie Monday: P.S. I Love You

I am trying something new this year and joining in on Steph's Stacks Movie Monday meme! I am a big movie buff and love seeing great books on the big screen.

My first featured film is one of my favourite P.S. I Love You. The book was first written by Cecelia Ahern in 1994 and turned into a film in 2007. The film itself was a hit and starred Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler. While the book itself was a hit, I adore the film, the soundtrack and the cast. There were some minor changes in the film, but if you ask me, they did the book no harm. One example is the letters - In the book, Gerry's letters are given to Holly all at once with the note to read one a month. In the movie, it was more dramatic and Holly would receive a letter in random places. A bit of a tearjerker at times, nevertheless a wonderful book and film.


The Book

Goodreads:
A novel about holding on, letting go, and learning to love again.

Holly couldn't live without her husband Gerry, until the day she had to. They were the kind of young couple who could finish each other's sentences. When Gerry succumbs to a terminal illness and dies, 30-year-old Holly is set adrift, unable to pick up the pieces. But with the help of a series of letters her husband left her before he died and a little nudging from an eccentric assortment of family and friends, she learns to laugh, overcome her fears, and discover a world she never knew existed.

The kind of enchanting novel with cross-generational appeal that comes along once in a great while, PS, I Love You is a captivating love letter to the world!


"Finding someone you love and who loves you back is a wonderful, wonderful feeling. But finding a true soul mate is an even better feeling. A soul mate is one who understands you like no other, loves you like no other, will be there for you forever, no matter what. They say that nothing lasts forever, but I am a firm believer in the fact that for some, love lives on even after we're gone."


The Movie

IMDB:
Release date: UK 4 January 2008/ US 21 December 2007
Director: Richard LaGravenese
Writers: Richard LaGravenese (screenplay), Steven Rogers (screenplay), Cecelia Ahern (novel)
Stars: Hilary Swank, Gerard Butler and Harry Connick Jr

Holly Kennedy is beautiful, smart and married to the love of her life - a passionate, funny, and impetuous Irishman named Gerry. So when Gerry's life is taken by an illness, it takes the life out of Holly. The only one who can help her is the person who is no longer there. Nobody knows Holly better than Gerry. So it's a good thing he planned ahead. Before he died, Gerry wrote Holly a series of letters that will guide her, not only through her grief, but in rediscovering herself. The first message arrives on Holly's 30th birthday in the form of a cake, and to her utter shock, a tape recording from Gerry, who proceeds to tell her to get out and "celebrate herself". In the weeks and months that follow, more letters from Gerry are delivered in surprising ways, each sending her on a new adventure and each signing off in the same way; P.S. I Love You. Holly's mother and best friends begin to worry that Gerry's letters are keeping Holly tied to the past...

Trailer



Extra: Music Clip from film - Gerard Butler singing

9 comments:

  1. I love it! I've only seen the movie and it's one of my faves!! I own the book, but it's still sitting on my shelf (I'm such a slacker!)

    I love that you included the trailer where he sings too!!

    Putting up the linky right now, glad you had time to join me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh I couldnt resist the part where he sings. Its one of my favourite parts.
      Glad I could join :) now on to thinking what to do next week!

      Delete
  2. I've only seen the movie, but I love it. I honestly don't think I've ever cried so much from a movie before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie was great, wasnt it! :D I heard so many of my friends who never cry in films did while watching it too.

      Delete
  3. This is one other exception (Besides Vampire Diaries) where I liked the movie over the book!
    Don't tell anybody ... I cry too - every bloody time I watch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the movie was much better :)
      My lips are seeled! hehe

      Delete
  4. I didn't see this movie, but I didn't know Gerard Butler is in it. He was an excellent Phantom. I just loved him there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely enough I still havent seen Phantom, something I have to fix asap!

      Delete
  5. Funny. Normally, I prefer the book over the film, but here it's the other way around. The book was sometimes a bit boring, but I dare to say that I've had a couple of tears in my eyes during the movie.

    ReplyDelete